Saturday, December 1, 2007

Aila.


Well, the Lord sure does have a sense of humor because I didn't have a wacko in my house last night so much as a stranger. Still it was nerve racking, even if she was seventy or so.

I met her at work last night and the poor thing wanted to find a hotel room in Reno for about twenty bucks on a Friday night during the holiday season. Fat chance, but I didn't tell her that. Instead, I looked on the Internet and through the phonebook and every brochure we had in the place trying to get her a bed for the night. This was her story.

She left Finland in a rush hearing that her aunt (who lived in Gardnerville) was sick. She wanted to spend time with her before she passed away. On the trip over, her sister called to tell her that her aunt had already died.

She had no place to go; my cop's wife judgement prolonged me inviting her to stay at my house until the last possible moment, after we had called every hotel even remotely stayable and she had invited me to stay with her anytime in Finland (hint hint). There was nothing else to do except to say, "Well, you can stay at my house if you want," as if that was the first time the idea had entered either of our brains over the last two hours.

She about toppled me over with hugs.

First we went to my parent's house to pick up Ethan. She said she loved children. My cop's wife instinct told me, "Great. That's what all the child kidnappers and killers probably say. Oh, I LOVE children." I gulped and thought of Joey and how he was going to kill me as Aila and I walked into my parents house.

We had a late dinner of left over sloppy joes which was not that great, but Aila ate every last bite. Another reason to be suspicious. Why is she so hungry? Is she homeless? Has she been lying to me?

I am such a spaz.

Joey did about kill me later on the phone when I told him she would be sleeping at our house.

"She's just an old lady," I said. "Like Grammie."

"It's the principle of it Danae! It's the principle!"

His worry got me worrying even more. After we made her bed on the couch and I said goodnight, I went into our master bedroom and contemplated staying up all night to make sure I knew what she was up to. While thinking about this I was trimming my cuticles and instantly thought what a great idea it would be to keep the cuticle cutters on my bedside table in case she came in in the middle of the night wanting to kill me. I could just see the headline, "Little Old Lady Brutally Murders Young Mother and Child in Their Sleep." Yes, something like that.

I got too tired to stay up all night but my ears were perked to her every sound like a hound's. When I did go to bed I left my cuticle trimmers in the bathroom. I got out my Bible expecting to open it to a verse like, "I was hungry and you fed me," but instead it was just Ephesians. I read a little. The Holy Spirit reminded me I am no less safer tonight than I was last night with no one in my house because God is the same: all powerful, all knowing, all loving.

It still was hard to fall asleep, but I did.

It makes me sad this was so hard. I want to help people. I want to take every person in need into my home, feed them coffee and bagels with cream cheese.

By the end we were good friends. Like a grandmother she was telling me that I am too skinny and that I needed a warmer coat before I went outside. When I hugged her goodbye, I sincerely hoped she would be ok. Like I would if I were leaving my own Grammie.

She blessed me beyond measure. Complimenting my relationship with my parents ("It's so vonderful tat you love your mutter!") and my mothering skills with Ethan and our home and my approachablness.

She may have been just a needy old lady, willing to say anything. But I think she was sent by God to make me trust Him more and to bless me like crazy in the process.

Thank you Aila.

1 comment:

Simon Jooste said...

Simon would have given me the same lecture :)