Sunday, December 9, 2007

Graduate(ED). Yay!


Yesterday we endured the graduation ceremony. It wouldn't have been so bad except that I wore a dress AND shoes that should not be worn when there is snow everywhere and your breath looks like a cloud of smoke when you talk. Anyway, I was freezing so the hairs on my legs were growing at an extraordinary rate, I was sweating like a pig (Joey insists this is an impossibility but I can't explain it: I sweat profusely when I am COLD), I was afraid my breath was getting raunchier by the second because all I had for breakfast was a short, extra hot carmel macchiato, and I was getting major hat hair from that stupid hat. Oh, also my back was killing me from standing so long in my high heels. It's enough to throw any girl over the edge and into a seriously crappy mood. Which is exactly what I was in after the ceremony.
Before the ceremony I was happy as a clam. It was Joey that was stressed. Do we have everything? We are going to be late! Where's our directions? The cameras? Danae, common!
Three and a half hours later, Joey is relaxed and in a great mood because he just graduated, and I am about to rip somebody's head off because I'm paranoid my dress has BO stains on it and we are about to go see EVERYONE I have ever known at our party.
Occasions such as these are the backbones of life.
I finally relaxed once I saw that my dress (God bless it!) had absorbed my sweat beautifully, I remedied the bad breath problem, got some deodorant, and hairspray from Patty's bathroom. Nothing I could do about my legs but common, nobody noticed.
I gave more hugs yesterday than I have in a while. A hug hello, a hug goodbye. Three minutes later, a hug hello, a hug goodbye.
I had wanted to give a speech at some point, a toast per se, to all our friends and family for their AMAZING support and love to us throughout this incredibly difficult and crazy time in our life. But it never happened. I'll just have to do it in their thank-you notes. Or maybe in a full-page add in the Gazette.
Still, it was touching to see all of our friends and family come to support us. We have the best community in them in the world. I could not be more blessed-despite all my bodily woes.

1 comment:

Simon Jooste said...

Hey! That happened to me just today. I sweat when I'm cold too!
CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so proud of you!