Sunday, December 16, 2007

Dance, Baby.

Last night Brian and Jamie were married. They are so beautiful together! The reception was an absolute blast and I am smacking my forehead with my hand right now because I didn't take any pictures to show you all.
I am so happy for them, so happy for their future together in Christ. Being reminded of the basic truths of marriage given by God was uplifting to me too. It would have been easy after four years of marriage to be cynical at their union ("Oh you two just wait"), but that would be because I wouldn't be believing, trusting, hoping, in Christ for my own marriage in this moment as well as for Brian and Jamie's.
Not to say that makes anything easy. But trusting in Christ, being reminded of what a miracle marriage is, does take the feelings of complete discouragement away, replacing them with a bright hope.
Also, Joey can dance.
I had no idea before we were married that this boy could dance. I would have thought it insignificant anyway, much to my own detriment. In all the 'day to day'-ness of marriage, dancing at weddings or parties has been one of the rare times were Joey and I are completely carefree together. We are eighteen again, swinging and twirling and gett'en down. His smile wraps around his face, and he laughs.
Uncle Johnny once told me that dancing with his wife saved his marriage and I smiled and thought he was joking. But as I dive deeper and deeper into this mystery, the simple act of letting go and dancing your heart out with your spouse does have a unique healing quality to it.
God's grace come down to us in so many different forms-including loud music, high heels, and a dance floor.

1 comment:

Simon Jooste said...

Simon has been talking about talking some dancing lessons together sometime. This is BIG! I LOVE to dance and think it would be a blast, but he has always been a little insecure about it (unless, of course, it's "raving" :) Man I wish I could've seen him in his day raving the night away - it seems so totally out of character for him now.
Anyway, to bed to bed...love you lots!