Friday, November 2, 2007

Tolit paper, please.

I was on the pot and there was no toilet paper left. Just that useless brown roll with tiny shreds of the white necessity remaining. It was just me and Ethan and this was not a "drip-dry" scenario. Instead of waddling with my pants around my ankles, feeling tiny drops of pee hit my thighs, to the closet to get a new role, I smile at Ethan, who is waiting for me.
"Hi," I say to him.
"Hi."
"Wanna help Mama?"
He smiles.
"Go into the other bathroom (I point out the door) and get Mama some toilet paper (I tap the empty roll three or four times). Toilet paper, you know? It's under the sink (I hit the cupboard door). Under the sink."
He runs out of the bathroom, and I wait, pretty sure he'll forget what he was after halfway into the first hall.
He returns, holding a tiny corner of a piece of toilet paper. He smiles so proudly. I am so proud too!
"Good job, Ethan! Good job bringing Mama toilet paper!" I stick it between my legs and let it fall into the pot so he thinks I used it. He watches me the whole time.
"Can you bring Mama more? More toilet paper?"
He runs away again.
This time I am way more optimistic. I hope he can get enough to get the job done. Who cares if he didn't get the under the sink part. What he's doing is working just fine. I wait patiently.
Pretty soon he rounds the corner holding the end a long piece of toilet paper out to me. I say long because I can't see the end of it. It trails him like a skinny robe. I laugh and take what I need.
After I pull up my pants and thank Ethan about five times I follow the toilet paper trail all the way back to the second bathroom.

He's growing up. Last week he wouldn't have done this.
I couldn't be prouder. Also this just proves, once again, I need him just as much as he needs me.

2 comments:

Simon Jooste said...

This is HILARIOUS! I laughed out loud in front of Simon and Lynne as I was reading it and had to read it to them. I edited a little bit, because, you know, they are a bit more prim and proper than we Ogdens :)
I can just picture the whole scene...I will remember this story forever!

Danae said...

Yes, this scenerio defintely was hilarious. I am glad you read it to Lynn and Simon and I am glad you edited it.
I hope I will never forget it too. It is one of the cutest things Ethan has ever done.