Thursday, November 29, 2007

Easy weasy. (Only the mother of a toddler would think that is a good title).

Every day is one day closer to both of us being as done as we have to be at UNR. I have had the most cake semester while Joey, on the other hand, is studying like a mad man just to hang on. Well, actually I wouldn't be surprised if he still pulls off some pretty impressive grades. This is a quality I married Joey for: his determination, motivation, and need to give everything he does 100%, at least.
It is also the reason I can find myself sulking in the kitchen while his butt is glued to a chair, working on a fourteen page research paper. But I am getting over this. Really. It's like my friend Sammie says (who's married to a soon-to-be doctor)--our husbands are not deadbeats. They are the opposites of deadbeats: alive and determined and motivated and gaol-oriented and thinking about retirement; ultimately for us. Because they love us.
******
I REALLY don't want to go to class right now -and probably won't. (As you can see, my strengths are not those of my husbands--see how badly I need him? If our financial future depended on me, ,and goodness gracious don't' even mention our retirement, we would be in serious trouble people. I am talking serious trouble).
Which actually reminds me of a funny incident that happened not too long ago.
Joey and I were walking to our car from class and I was having a "mommy moment" that went something like this:
"I just don't know if I can do this mommy thing full time. I mean, everything I have ever wanted to do, I just have to give up. And I know you tell me I just have to wait six or seven years till the kids (Ethan plus the one(s) we haven't had yet) are in school, but seven years could potentially zap all the creativity and motivation out of me. I might not even care in seven years...." I kept going, on and on about my talents going to waste and not feeling valued as a stay at home mom, la de da. And this is what Joey says to me: "Well, if you want to work full time and financially support us, I will stay home with the kids."
And my jaw hit the pavement. And then I got this really queasy feeling inside of me. A queasy feeling that grew into a sickly black feeling the more the reality of what Joey was saying, what I was saying, sunk in.
Did I really want the responsibility of getting a job and making sure we can pay all of our bills(we have a lot of them!!!) and having to deal with FORTY hours of work away from home, away from Ethan? That thought alone was enough to slap me out of my somewhat deceived state. And how silly of me to think that I couldn't use my "talents" at home with Ethan, nurturing him in the process. DUH. That is what mommies do. Everything that I love to do, painting, reading, playing with Ethan, writing, decorating, cooking, throwing parties, exercising, hanging out with friends....I can do as a mommy. And the reality is if I got a full time job, even as a design consultant or journalist or whatever, it would seriously cramp my time to do those things I love.
I am so silly sometimes.
Again, why I need Joey so bad. He is a realist (sometimes a serious pessimist) and I am an optimist (sometimes not in touch with reality).
Anyway, my point when I started this blog is that my semester has been the easiest ever and Joey's has been his hardest. And I am not going to class (and I am sure Joey will).

No comments: