Tuesday, November 20, 2007

We are almost done, we are almost done....

Put that title to a little song and you will understand how I am feeling about graduating from UNR.
Now, to move on to more important things in life, like how I am going to answer everyone and their mother when they ask me, "So what are you going to do with your degree?"
Because this is what I do with it mostly. I write in this blog. But good Lord I cannot say that. What a LOSER.
I have thought about this response: " I am going to be a very educated mommy"-which is totally valid and needed in this world. But also a little smart ass and I don't want to come across like that especially when these people will hopefully be sending me money for graduating.
I am VERY thankful I went to college. I am better for it, although it tore me up in the process, but nothing that God couldn't use to show me more of Himself and His greatness. Now that it is over I can say it was good. Sometimes life is just like that.
You know what I am looking forward to in the spring when I am NOT going to school?
Waking up every morning and feeding Ethan his breakfast as we watch Nemo (No, he is not sick of it yet). Decorating his bedroom with clocks or airplanes, because he loves them, or maybe like a camp site because I love camping. Reading him books and teaching him songs that I know I taught him and not Grandma (so far I can take zero credit for how Ethan can sing his ABC's to "P" and count to 11 because his Grandmas are also teaching him these things. It's not a bad thing at all, I just want a little credit here as his mother that I taught him something all by myself.) Going to the library with Ethan for story time and getting all dressed up just to go grocery shopping with him and making the house perfectly clean for when Joey comes home and cooking yummy dinners and eating together as a family more than twice a week. I am looking forward to actually having time to have people over for dinner and goodness gracious maybe a date-night once in while where we don't have to feel guilty using a babysitter because Ethan isn't with one everyday.
So what am I going to do with my degree? Just live people. I am going to enjoy my son because he is only two once and I am going to spoil my husband because he deserves good dinners and a clean home. I am going to go to my exercise classes because I love them and I am going to take a singing class through TMCC. Heck I might even pull out my crusty paint brushes and finish the painting that is hanging in our office (Joey would appreciate this. He hates unfinished "projects").
But still I don't know what I am going to say when they whip THE question..."Uhh...I'm not sure..."
Jeeze. You'd think after six or seven years in a university I could come up with something more intelligent or at least more charming than that.

1 comment:

Simon Jooste said...

"Just live people" I like this! Simon reminded me of what a high calling it is to be a mother and a wife yesterday. I have been pondering that today. It makes my "work" so much more purposeful and enjoyable. I think you are going to be able to really appreciate being home with Ethan next semester, in a way that you wouldn't have if you hadn't been SO busy for SO long. I am starting to really enjoy being a mom and not resent the fact that my freedom is pretty much gone. That's what being a mommy is. Although, don't get me wrong - it's still very healthy to have a break every once in a while (or maybe even once per week!)