Thursday, November 22, 2007

New wonder.







Yesterday we decorated for Christmas. I like unpacking all the little Christmas ornaments from my childhood and setting up all the snowmen and switching my orange, fall things with red and green Christmas things. But every year since I was, oh I donno, eleven, there has been an element of dread in the wonder of it all; the dread that in a couple of weeks I will have to pack it all up again and what a waste of time, or something; it's just not a hundred percent fun. In fact, it has been decreasing in fun percentage every year.
But this year Ethan is alive. And when he woke up from his nap I went in and asked him if he wanted to come out and "see Christmas"- I had the tree all lit up and you know how special that is.
He was already excited from the tone in my voice but when he saw that tree he about popped. And then everything else; all the snowmen on the bureau("Candy? Candy?"-I have no idea why he thinks snowmen are candy) and the little angel figurines above the TV ("Little girl? Little girl?") and of course the reindeer Joey's grandma made that is supposed to hold Christmas cards-we had to put it away because Ethan wouldn't stop straddling it and saying "getti-up, getti-up" while rocking it back and forth so it's poor old legs about snapped.
And then again this morning the first thing he says to me is, "Tree? Tree?" (and then something about watching Nemo).
There is one particular ornament that he likes to poke his finger in and talk about. It's a house figurine with a sleigh and reindeer on top and on the inside Santa has his bag of toys in front of a fireplace and tree. I loved this ornament when I was little too. Grammie and Papa gave it to me. Ethan pokes his chubby little finger inside and says, "Whas that? Whas that?" to everything inside and on the ornament. I think I have explained the anatomy of that ornament to him at least fifty two times since yesterday. This could be a very long month.
Ethan has upped the fun percentage of Christmas tremendously.
***********************************
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wish i could of seen all this cuteness.

Simon Jooste said...

me too! I haven't decorated since we moved here because we aren't even around for Christmas. It has been nice in some ways...but this year Simon bought me 3 pointetias, and that's a nice simple touch :)