Wednesday, October 31, 2007

today...night owls.

Today I will go teach kickboxing at nine-thirty. It's eight-twenty now. Ethan and have have already watched our twenty minutes of Nemo. He doesn't want to watch anything else, and he must watch at least twenty minutes of the little fish movie everyday.
I have a love/hate relationship with Nemo. I love it because it gives me uninterrupted Ethan free time. I hate it because Ethan's face just zones out, like someone just shot him up with some Nemo drug.
So we compromise and I let him be zoned out for twenty minutes.
Joey is still sleeping. He tells me, "I'm not sleeping well. I wake up all the time." So I let him stay in there, even though I want to cook eggs and waffles and eat with him sitting by me. Instead I have three soft cookies and coffee, and listen to Nemo.
Somehow, all this is supposed to work: Joey working graveyard for part of the week, then trying to switch and sleep like a normal person with me. Its so obvious to me he's fighting against the natural biorhythm of our bodies...like a "Joey Stretch Arm Strong", being pulled in all sorts of unnatural ways. Like his body is screaming, "Pick one! Day or night, we don't care, just pick one and stick with it!"
I was thinking about this yesterday and decided I'd try to become one of those night owls, you know those people who can stay up till one in the morning, no problem? This would take some huge adjustments. I hate New Years simply for the fact that the holiday makes me feel like such an old goat because I never want to stay up. Ten o'clock rolls around and my bed is just screaming my name.
BUT- for the sake of marriage drastic measures sometimes need to be taken. So I'm not sure where to begin, maybe a cup of joe around five in the afternoon? That's all I can think of.

2 comments:

Simon Jooste said...

We are praying for you guys. Hang in there - what you're doing is NOT easy. Sometimes remembering that helps me. It's a comfort to know that God will never leave us - even when the situations we are in are our own fault and are definitely not ideal. Simon continues to remind me that we live in a fallen world...and I know that, but I think I still live like things could be perfect if I did things differently.

Danae said...

Thanks so much for praying for us. We need it so bad.
God is so good to me, showing me more and more my marriage is not the ultimate; its only a picture, a metaphor and the reality of my realtionship to Christ. That He is the ultimate lover of my soul, fulfiller of every need.
Only in that mindset can I start to truly love Joey.
I have been floored at how I have thought for so long that Joey and my's realtionship was the endall, instead of seeing it only as a picture of the Greatest relationship of all; and as God's gracious gift to me.