Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Housewives Unite: The Power of An Apron

Ok so the feminists are going to shoot me. Shoot on, I don't care. I have discovered a secret worth shouting from the roof tops. And the secret is this: wearing an apron makes me like being a housewife.
It's as simple as that. My mom and dad recently moved and I inherited an old seventies half apron that I took because it was cute. It sat in my closet for weeks but I decided to put it on and WA-LA: instant new feeling. A good feeling. A feeling of power and pride and love even. A feeling like, ok, this is my job. I am the boss.
Ok, at first I felt self-concious and a little Mrs. Beaver-y, but the good feelings overpowered and won, and I kept the apron on.
Making dinner with my apron on makes me more patient with Joey when he's watching baseball or on the computer or whatever. It's like the apron reminds me, "Hello, you're his wife. Let him relax. Spoil him." And then I actually set the table with placemats and make sure the butter and salt and pepper are on there too, and even ask what he wants to drink with dinner.
And doing laundry with the little thing on? Instant bliss.
And I think the guys like it too. I haven't exactly asked Joey and he hasn't said anything specifically, but I just get this feeling he likes it. Like I take cooking seriously or something. Like I take taking care of him seriously. Sometimes I forget that's what I signed up for when I said, "I do".
The first week I wore my apron I made dinner FOUR times. This might not be a big deal for some (like my older sister who makes dinner EVERY NIGHT) but for me, that is a record. What was even more amazing was that I wasn't too bitter about it. Even after, doing the dishes, I was still liking my role as mom and wife.
Now I know this sounds trite and a little too simple, but its worth the try.
And let me tell you, there are cute sexy aprons out there! Go to gourmandaproncreations.com if you want to check some out.

3 comments:

Simon Jooste said...

that's a good idea! I enjoy my housework much more when I have my apron on too, now that I think about it!

Anonymous said...

I have now started cleaning in my wedding tirra...love it!

Anonymous said...

ok so tiara is spelled t-i-a-r-a.