Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Puppy love.

So I've been jotting down all these cute things Truman does so that I can remember to write them in this blog but when I sit down they all seem quite irrelevant to the overwhelming feeling of THIS IS HARD. In fact I can't remember a time in my life that has been harder. Having a baby everyone feels sorry for you and offers to help and even gives you presents. Going to college and working and having a two year old everyone shakes their head in respect and offers to babysit. Having a puppy, on the other hand, people look at you with that smile that says, "I told you so."
And they did. Everyone tried to warn me and I blew them all off, which is a very human thing to do when other humans are trying to help you avoid a potentially hazardous situation. Oh no, we say. Not me.
Whatever. Of course it will be the same with you, Ding Dong!
I feel like Joey is about to snap. I feel like our marriage is about to snap. And I am definitely about to snap.
Ethan, however, compared to Joey and me, has been the most angelic thing since we got Truman and it's not because he likes the dog. He just seems to not worry about sticky linoleum from pee and training a pitpull to be nice when all he wants to do is bite bite bite and stuff like that. I realize how easy life has become with Ethan, how normal, and how it took me two years to get used to having him around.
God I pray puppies don't take as long as children to get used to.
It's not all bad for me. I still get cuddle time with Truman on the couch or when I'm in the chair in the kitchen he puts his little paw on my leg and asks with his most beautiful blue eyes, "Up, please?"
But Joey for some reason or another just gets his toes chewed on. Although last night Truman did sleep curled up in Joey's armpit, giving him a lick every now and then. Joey said he didn't get to sleep until one and then he woke up to Truman gnawing on his leg.
But I really can't tell you how hard this has been. People say your first year of marriage is tough-that was like a Hawaii vacation where everything goes right compared to our life here since Thursday.
I want this dog-I feel like Joey gave in to me wanting this dog but he didn't want it.
Love is never an easy thing, least of all I am learning, puppy love. Puppy love takes more patience, more forgiveness, more hope, than I have ever had to give before-not just to Truman, but to my husband.
I don't know why it seems like a shock as severe as jumping into an Antarctic pool that Joey and I are completely different in so many respects. Especially in our brains. Sometimes I think the only thing Joey and I have in common is the color of our skin, and even that varies.

2 comments:

Simon Jooste said...

hmmmmm, I know that dogs are a lot of work (and that's why I don't want one) but I didn't realize they could throw your marriage for a loop like kids do. But I guess if both spouses don't really want the dog then I can understand the tension. In my marriage it will be the other way around - I'm sure Simon sees our future with a few more kids and a few little yappy puppies. But maybe I should think twice before I say "yes" (to the yappy puppies, of course :) because I know that I will be the one doing all the work for the dogs (like his mom) for the enjoyment of my husband and my kids. And I know that I can get bitter and resentful VERY quickly...I will have to get real with myself and accept all the work, annoyance, and frustrations of owning a dog BEFORE I say yes. And then when the hard times come, the only one to blame is ME, because I said "yes".
I'm sure it will get easier. They're only puppies/toddlers for 1 year. I'm sure he will be a very faithful and loving dog (at least that's what all the books tell you, right?)
Hang in there!!!!!!

Deaira Dea said...

He is a sweet dog... very cute and cuddly but a puppy hm I haven't had that pleasure yet (my dog was full grown and house trained) and when I tell Steve I want dogs he suggests a cat... haha... Marriage sounds like a never ending experience to learn and grow in love... naive little me can't wait... haha I enjoy hearing about the mystery of marriage from my married friends now more than ever haha