Sunday, January 13, 2008

Life Today.

This dog is driving me nuts this morning. I feel like throwing him out the slider and slamming the door. He won't stop going after my feet, my robe tie. I feel guilty right now like a mother who uses ice cream or TV to get her child to shut up-I can't stop giving him treats. They are the only thing that keeps him occupied for five minutes.
He likes to be outside but we have at least two spots in our fence that he could wiggle right under. So if I put him outside I have to be out there with him, freezing. Finally he seems to have calmed down; I gave him a really big treat that is supposed to help his breath and clean his teeth. He desperately needs help with his breath.
My friend Jen came over again last night and said to me, "Let's go out," just as I was putting on the water for tea. Out? What?
"Ok..."I wasn't sure how all of this was going to work out with a two year old but I decided to try. Jen put Ethan's jacket on him and we were off.
We went to Red Robin and sat in a booth with no one behind us so Ethan couldn't play with strangers' hair or throw french fries in their laps. He stood the whole time and loved Jen's strawberry lemonade, which she ended up giving to him. She fed him the strawberries off the red straw.
We went to Bed Bath and Beyond and looked at flannel sheets and smelled candles. Ethan loves to smell candles. As I carried him back to the car, his little doughy hands smelled like spiced pumpkin and apples.
Then we went to Ross and browsed some more. Jen was looking for some king size pillows for her new bed. As we were testing out all the different brands, the pillows slipped off the shelf. You know how slippery they can be in those plastic covers? Anyway, we had a mound of pillows on the floor and a sales woman walked by and looked at us like we were ten years old and in her make-up or something. Then she just stood there. Jen said, "We're making a mess, aren't we," and the lady nodded.
I was so annoyed I almost started throwing pillows at her. I told her not to worry, that we would clean them up, and she nodded and walked off.
People sometimes.
Anyway, other than the pillow incident the night was wonderful. Food, lemonade, shopping. And most importantly, someone who doesn't have kids who acts like she does, making it easy as pie for Ethan and I to hang out with her anytime, anywhere. She brushed his teeth last night for gosh sakes.

1 comment:

Simon Jooste said...

That's great that she got you to go out! I need a friend like that. I think I MUST go out regularly this semester because Simon will be so busy and I will be with Andrew so much. In the past I have told myself that I can go out when all my chores are done. Well, my chores are NEVER done so I need to just say that Thursday mornings are my "sanity" days and I WILL go out! Andrew's happier outside the house anyway. Remind me of all this puppy stuff before I agree to getting one, okay?