Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The hum of the refridgerator.





We got a big snow storm this weekend. I got Ethan all decked out in the appropriate gear so that he could go outside with me to take the trash out. I don't have snow clothes because they are expensive and I'd rather stay inside. So I was in my bathrobe. But the first thing Ethan does is jump right into the snow. I forget how carefree toddlers are. He didn't even have gloves on. Then as we walked around the house he insisted on walking in the snow drifts instead of the paths. I would have liked to have stayed out there longer with him but I was freezing my rear off and his red fingers looked like glow worms.
***
Hallelujah. Truman just put his paw on the slider and so I let him outside. He did the normal five minute dog sniff before finding just the right spot and then pooped. All on his own. Of course then he was so proud of himself because I was cheering him on like crazy that he stepped right in it as he wiggled his way over to me. Whatever. Progress is progress. Oh and then when we came inside and I gave him a treat he peed because he was so excited. But I think we are making real headway here.
***I decided to take Truman on his first real walk because they say pit bulls need ALOT of exercise and Truman is rather rambunctious today. However,I didn't realize you have to train puppies to walk too for gosh sakes. He just sits there and looks at you like, "What?" When he can get it in his mouth he chews on the the leash. So I carried him all the way to the end of our street because the sidewalk hadn't been cleared of snow. I finally got him on a path and he didn't want to move. Then a big tuck drove by and Truman darted under my legs utterly terrified. I explained to him cars are kind of like humongous dogs.
But after the truck he was finished. He was shivering from the cold and from the truck scare so I carried him all the way back home. He was relieved to be inside his kitchen again and is now sleeping.
Joey and Ethan are sleeping too. It's quiet.









2 comments:

Deaira Dea said...

I remember when we used to bundle Charel up to play in the snow. Kids look sooo cute when they're wearing so many clothes you wonder how they can move they're like little snow babies! :) Glad you're making progress with Truman!

Simon Jooste said...

yeah! Progress!