Monday, April 4, 2011

Bottoms Up.

Operation Butt, Hips, and Thighs, which I affectionately call "Bottoms Up", is in full swing. I went out for my first run two? three? days ago and everyday since the charlie horses in both thighs have gotten more and more intense. What the ?
I forgot how it feels those first couple of runs after a whole winter of non-running: the ache, the stiffness. And of course I probably over-did it, as is pretty obvious from my "warm-up" three mile run which included two nice hills in itself. Heh.
So...by the time I got to my "work-out" hill I was ready to go home. I ran up it once, trying to lengthen my stride and go as fast as I could. I can tell you right now this is going to be good for me. I am so comfortable right now in what I normally do; mixing it up with hills, pushing myself, will be good, physically, mentally.
And then I went home.
Next time I will shoot for a mile or so warm-up, and then my goal will be to do the hill three times. Just writing it makes me wince.
My super-ambitious-crazy-over-do-it-kick-ass part of me wants to be able to run up the hill ten times in one workout by the end of the summer.
My newly-feeling-old-learning-to-pace-myself-or-else part of me thinks five or six should be sufficient.
We'll see who wins.
My family right now is in a transition as I prepare to change jobs, try to figure out childcare and kindergarten (nightmare!), and get my classes re-arranged. Instead of teaching 6 classes a week like I do now, I am cutting down to one for a while, and then going to add back two on Saturday. It's a lot of changes but I am looking forward to them.


No comments: