Sunday, May 30, 2010

My run.

I went for a run yesterday because kickboxing was closed (found that out after getting everyone ready and diving all the way in to find the parking lot empty...grrrr). So I ran outside instead and it was a better deal anyway. I got lots of vitamin D and I worked muscles I usually don't. I am pretty sore today.
I didn't have shoes so my mom let me borrow some of hers. I went on an old route, through Crissy Caughlin Park, to Idlewild and back. About five miles, but I might be stretching it. the reason I love it is because for a good while you're running right by the river, and listening to the sound of the running water makes me feel eighteen again, just like when I started running there.
I started running when I was dating Joey. He ran, you see. I sort of ran before, like around my block, but the first time I really ran anywhere longer than up my street and back was with him. In fact, I had my first kiss with Joey on a run. On my eighteenth birthday. I will be twenty seven on Thursday, which means that is my 9th first-kiss-with-Joey-anniversary too!
Anyway, back to my run. I saw a lot of runners and bikers. I think differently now that everything with B.D. has happened here, and maybe it's just because I am older too. When I see a male coming, I psyche myself up to totally be ready to rip his eyeballs out. I look around for other people so that I can scream my head off as I am kicking him where the sun don't shine. It puts a damper on the whole "nice, relaxing run by the river", but it is what it is. I have some cop grade spray I usually take with me, but I hadn't planned on this run so I didn't have it.
There was one guy these thoughts didn't go through my mind with though. He must of been eighty seven, at least, hair as white as snow. He was running. Slow, but running. I really didn't know whether to feel sorry for him or wish I could be like him. I settled on the latter. I mean, I run because I have my whole life in front of me and bathing suit season coming up, but why in the heck is he running? Whatever the reason, I want it. My knees where hurting but his must of felt like grinding gears. He's pretty much my hero.

No comments: