Monday, May 24, 2010

Monday.

Mondays are long days and they are the best days because I feel so darn accomplished. However, they also completely wear me out and the rest of the week I feel like extremely tired and way older than I actually am.
Mondays I get up at a little after five and drive twenty minutes to kickboxing. Then I come home, have breakfast with the boys, and take a twenty minute nap, usually before nine o'clock.
I go to the chiropractor and then to work till five thirty, then race home and eat like a gorilla for fifteen minutes before loading the boys in the car and driving to the YMCA to teach a power yoga class by six thirty.
Then we come home and somehow crash through the bedtime routine, to which we've added rocket trips to the moon and back (on my bed, Ethan decked out in his "space suite").
My one advice to people with kids younger than mine: Don't even start a bedtime routine.
Just stick them in their beds and turn off the light. Forget trying to be mom of the year with songs and stories and sweet memories. Just don't do it.
Then, feeling like a burned up bag of pine needles, Joey and I somehow crawl into our own bed, tired and smelling like dried sweat. Yum.
And, like I said, the rest of the week is completely shot, but at least it always starts off well.
Oh children.
It's an hour after Ethan's bedtime and he is in bed (at least we got that far), wide awake, singing at the top of his lungs. Jesus.
Noah is still the angel baby. Happy, kind, happy. Always excited to see you. He really is wonderful except when he pees his body weight through the night and I wake up to soaking sheets and blankets and teddy bears and a baby that smells like urine. But even then he is smiling and you can't help but like him.
I'm re-reading my journals, all four thousand of them. Since like second grade. They make me feel good because I thought it was my children and marriage that have made me somewhat crazy and reading my old journals confirms I have always been a lunatic, and, in fact, my new family has mellowed my crazy tendencies to a degree.
On some days.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh you were never THAT crazy. But always a little crazier than me.

I didn't have time to comment earlier, but it cracked me up that you forgot to pick up your boys twice. It makes me feel a little bit better when I do things like forget to feed mine and then be super bugged when they ask to eat.

Anonymous said...

haha :) how'd you figure out to put things so well.. miss you.

we're all a little luney.. you're in good company.

or maybe it's just the ogden girls:)
daelynn