Thursday, June 3, 2010

Birthday dinner.

I went out to dinner last night for my birthday with Joey. I really try hard to to not write about him on here but it's so hard because he is everywhere in my life, like the sky. I could write an entire, endless book on him.
We went to Cadillac Ranch at the Legends. Usually I am a big fan of this place. It's always slow, so the customer service is great, and the food has always been delicious and hot. Not so much this time. The waiter kept telling Joey he had certain beers on tap and then he would come back and say they were out; then magically he brought one out saying, "I know you really wanted this one so I went next store and got it for you..." which would have been fine except I heard him give the same spiel to the couple sitting behind us. Little fishy, dontcha think?
Speaking of fish, I got a salmon cesar salad that tasted like it was doused in salt five or six times. It made my cheeks come in, that's how salty this thing was. I still feel bloated.
I sort of made some comment about the beers and the whole thing being a little weird and Joey just closed his eyes and shook his head and said he didn't care, aka, don't say anything to the waiter.
I took the hint and shut up about the beers and didn't even mention my salty, cheek-drying salmon.
The wine was still superb. It helped smooth everything over anyway.
Afterwards we went to the Gap. I saw a cute bather on clearance but they ended up not having my size. Shux! But not really. I don't need any of this crap and not having my size is an easy way to put it back. I ended up with a comfortable pair of shoes, low platforms that look like you'd wear them on a ship.
Joey got a shirt, and I picked up some socks for Ethan(he has to have expensive socks, he's boycotted Walmart cheapos) and also a cute plaid hat. I have to be strategic when I give him clothes, like I don't care one bit if he likes them or not, otherwise he will say he doesn't want them. Like with this hat: it's sooooooooo darn cute. But when I got home I calmly took it into his room and hung it on his hat rack like it was a lame hand-me-down.
"What's that?"
"Oh, a hat."
"Who got it for me?"
"I did."
"Is it a conductor's hat?"
"Sort of." (I turn to go).
"Can I wear it?"
Bingo.
After the Gap Joey was ready to go. (Hello? There are like five hundred stores here, it's my birthday, and it's seven thirty. Are we serious?)
Well, he was. He was concernced about Noah screaming. We started for for the car and then I got brave and told him I wanted to go to one more store. That it wouldn't take long, I just wanted to look at rings, I've been wanting a big fun ring, like a flower. Sometimes you just gotta stand up for yourself and say what you want.
He gave in and we headed over to Forever21. Before we went in I gave him the option of staying outside, that I didn't know if he'd really want to go in there, but he walked in with me anyway.
We walked over to the jewelery and he tried on some lacy hats and big sunglasses. I looked through the bins of rings, but they were bigger than big, these suckers were HUGE. Like they should have been a Grandmother's pin, not a ring.
I had pretty much given up when I grabbed a little (compared to the rest) oval ring. It was silver and petite and really beautiful. It looked like a small oval mirror, only the inside was the inside of a shell. It didn't have a tag on it and I couldn't find any others like it.
Look at this one, Joey, look at this. Isn't it pretty?
He said we had to go. I reminded him it was my birthday and when was the last time we got to go shopping together? He couldn't remember. I found a cute wallet and decided I was done.
I took my little treasures up to the counter and told the lady the ring didn't have a tag on it and without a second glance she said it wasn't one of their rings and and I could have it.
Have it! I mean, even if it was one of theirs it would have cost like three fifty, but still! This thing is sooo beautiful and I just love it! It makes me less sad for all the amazing rings I've lost. It makes up for them.
On the way back to the car Joey and I teased and laughed with each other. He commented on my shopping sprees over the last couple of months, and I gently reminded him of his CD player he put in his truck for his birthday.
We are even steven.
And I love you Joey.



No comments: