Thursday, January 20, 2011

On Having Another Baby.

Just read a couple of blogs on the issue of wanting more children. This has been on my mind a lot lately. The idea of not having any more children is a little scary to me, seeing as a little girl I never thought past the point in my life where I would be holding a baby. What do I do with a ten and a six year old? I have no idea. What does life look like with a growing family, not one in diapers? I have no idea. Who am I if I am not a young mom to babies? I have no idea.
And then it was interesting: I was reading Dobsons's Strong Willed Child book and happened to flip to the end where he answers questions, one of which was, When is the best time to have another child? And his answer surprised me. He basically said in terms of the children the spacing doesn't matter; there are pros and cons to whatever ends up happening. What matters most in deciding to have another child is:
THE HEALTH OF THE MOTHER. Really??? My health matters???? My physical health? my emotional health? my spiritual health? Really?
THE FINANCIAL STATE OF THE FAMILY. Really??? You mean if I can afford a child??? That matters??
THE STATE OF THE MARRIAGE. Really???? My relationship to my husband matters???? I am supposed to know and enjoy and have time with him???? Really???
AND FINALLY, the BIG KICKER...THE DESIRE OF BOTH PARENTS TO HAVE ANOTHER CHILD.
Really??? I should want one, and if I don't that's reason enough to stop??? Really???
This was all incredibly freeing to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

o i love you.. and miss deana huh... long long time:(

daelynn