Thursday, October 8, 2009

Loot!



We took home eleven fat pumpkins yesterday. Most are babies, my favorite kind. Their stems are long and funny looking, giving them each a unique personality. Ethan is surprisingly coming out of his pants excited about Halloween. I say surprisingly because we have never celebrated it before with him-he's never had a costume, never participated in trick or treat or even a harvest festival. And he can't stop talking about it--When's Halloween? When are we going to make my costume? When can we carve my pumpkin? When? When? When? He's getting it from this book, Froggy's Halloween. He reads it over at Nawnie's every time we visit.
He wants to be a jumbo jet or a duck. I'm hoping in the end the duck wins out; I can manage some large yellow duck feet and a bill over trying to figure out how the heck to make him look like a jumbo jet.
Then yesterday he asked me what I wanted to be for Halloween, like it was the most normal--and obvious--question.
I haven't thought about that, since, like, fifteen hundred years ago.
Maybe we'll all be ducks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww man.. you can never stay long enough.. if i had just stayed one or two days more i could have gone too. I miss being there. and i have the whole day ahead of me.. and can't do a darn thing. i just want to watch andy griffith .. perhaps i'm having my period again.. i had it over the weekend.. :) o-well. i love love love you. and miss you all the time.

love to read everything you always write. it's comforting. no matter what it's about.

Angel said...

that is so fun! We are going to apple hill this weekend. As a child I didn't understand/thought it was silly how Mom and Dad didn't like us 'celebrating' Halloween...I totally get it now. So we celebrate fall and the harvest. Love fall! Reminds me of sitting and drinking tea with my dear friends. We need to do that this fall! Love you sister.