Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sleep!

I slept last night, only getting up once (instead of every hour like the night before) to pee and blow my nose. I feel like a dream, a good dream.
Noah kicks and turns inside of me, or at least he tries. It's like he gets half way turned over and then goes back to the way he was because there isn't enough room to complete the turn. It's uncomfortable when he really pushes out; sometimes I think dang, do they ever break through?
Joey is working overtime, we are squeezing it in while we can. I miss him but more so I am proud of him, overwhelmed by his desire to care for his family, no matter the hour. I couldn't work the hours he works, ever. If there was only one word to describe Joey, it would be the opposite of lazy--diligent? motivated? driven? a wee bit crazy? Anyway, I am thankful for it.
When we were dating we used to go for runs together. I remember one particular time running behind him on a hill, feeling a little irritated he was a head of me, but thinking as I watched him tackle the hill with ease and grace, breathing through each step, that I could follow him. That he would be a good leader, a good husband. He was wearing black shorts and his back, tanned from the sun, was dripping with sweat. He has never had a problem working hard, at anything.
I am also going to "work" today--subbing for the preschool at Grace. I will take Ethan with me--the last time I did this it was a disaster but I don't really have a lot of choices. This is why I am working here, so that I can take the bugger with me, so we don't have to have babysitters.
Yesterday went so smoothly--you feel like a sort of superhuman getting eleven preschoolers to all take a nap at the same time--but Ethan was at his grandmas. Ethan would not have gone down, or, he would have FINALLY gone to sleep five minutes before wake-up time, after two hours of telling him to be still and shut up (in other nice, preschool appropriate words), like he did last time.
Seriously makes me feel like I am crazy, like my hair is sticking up all over the place and my eyes are coming out of my head.
That's kind of what I am expecting today, although for some weird reason I am hopeful he will fall asleep like all the others...I don't know why. Hope is an odd thing, but necessary--and real.

1 comment:

Simon Jooste said...

you sound good! and hopeful - even better :) Glad you got some good sleep and I hope your afternoon goes well at the preschool. LOVE YOU!