Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Most Beautiful Thing.

I think of love, and you, and my heart grows full and warm, and my breath stands still...I can feel sunshine stealing into my soul and making it all summer, and every thorn a rose.
-Emily Dickinson
I was about to turn left on the green arrow when it hit me: my marriage is a good thing. For as much as I think and write and think about everything that is wrong with it, about how darn hard it is, Joey is the most beautiful thing that is in my life and our marriage the miracle where 'we' play out.
My marriage is grace and forgiveness in the midst of-no because of-disgusting diapers or defensive responses to presumed motivations.
The more I allow Joey to be the seperate, autonomous human being that he is, the more I repsect and admire him, the more I enjoy him, the more we miraculosly become one. It's one of the paradoxes that makes life the mysterious miracle that it is.
Good Lord. Show me more of this, this big picture, this mystery.
It is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

2 comments:

Deaira Dea said...

There is brilliance and beauty in this relationship called marriage even on my side of it looking to and preparing for beauty abounds. I can only imagine how time tempers and purifies it... Praise God from whom all Blessings flow! :)

Simon Jooste said...

yes, yes, yes...

Along with the diapers comes the throw up - Andrew and I were up all night. This was the first time he has ever puked. It went EVERYWHERE - bed (2X) pjs (2 pairs) carpet, my bathrobe, his hair, and four blankets. I have dreaded this moment since the day you first told me Ethan puked. BUT God gives grace, it wasn't near as bad as I imagined :) Now I have about 3 loads of laundry to do. But this is my job, right? And I LOVE it!