Friday, February 29, 2008

Amassing Riches

Last night I threw one of those parties where the lady comes and sells stuff. This time it was jewelry. I threw the party because otherwise the product was too pricey for me, and I was under the impression that by throwing a party I would automatically get all these discounts.
Automatically is the key the word here.
I did not automatically get the discounts; I had to have a "qualifying party sale"--which I didn't get.
Which would have been no big deal except that I had spent a whole morning looking through the catalogue, marking it with hot pink sticky notes on all the pages that had things I wanted. Also, I did a lot of fore planning: buying creamy fattening appetizers, making chocolate cupcakes with strawberries on top (inspired by Emery), mixing three juices to get a punch with pzazz, scrubbing the toilet, and ironing my table cloth.
IRONING MY TABLE CLOTH FOR GOSH SAKES! And I got nothing.
So then when I went to bed I read Psalm 39, and somewhere in the middle there it says to me,
"Surely everyman walks about as a phantom;
Surely they make an uproar for nothing;
He amasses riches and does not know who will gather them."
I love amassing riches, especially shiny riches like jewelry. But I went to bed feeling a little bit like a selfish idiot for getting my heart wrapped so tightly around such silly--although beautiful-- little things.
I mean, I would love them, but nobody else would really even notice if I got a new pair of earrings. And would they make me nicer? more compassionate? more concerned about others?
No.
They would make me look at myself in the mirror longer than usual admiring myself.
That being said, I'm still taking the catalogue over to my mom's house to see if she can bring my "qualifying party sale" up to par. Because if she can, I'm gonna get myself some shiny new dangley things!
But if she doesn't want to buy anything, that's OK too, because in the end, they will tarnish and not be so shiny, and eternal life will go on and on.

1 comment:

Deaira Dea said...

“Do not store up for yourself treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven” (Matthew 6:19-20) Another affirmation that our true treasure is not here but in heaven... but that being said... there's something about a new pair of earring that makes a girl feel pretty! :) Sorry i missed your party! I applied at a new cooking school that opened up called Back of the House Culinary adventures i'm still praying about it hoping to hear something soon! We're pretty open and Steve was reminded recently why he likes my favorite sushi restaurant haha :) would March 12 maybe work for you? Also wanna talk to you about wedding stuff sometime and Soraida's shower oh my haha See you sunday!