Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day in Thirteen Minutes.

Oh! I have about thirteen minutes to write something.
That's how my life has felt this first week of work. I live by minutes. If I am miraculously eighteen minutes early for work I take it as a prime opportunity to do the grocery shopping. Yes, I may have turned into a  chicken with it's head cut off but at least the fridge is full.
But really, it's been awesome. I love working. I think, maybe when I have three free minutes, I might "privatize" the blog just in case for the sake of my job. I have a reputation of saying the darnedest things on here! But I want you all to stay with me so as soon as I figure out how it all works, what with the secret passwords or whatnot, I will be sure to let you know!
Today is Mother's Day, and boy has it been a doosey! Joey is working all day. It wouldn't be so bad except I keep getting texts and messages on facebook about how I should be getting spoiled and pampered, which is not happening. I did however stop by Walgreens and picked up a set of press-on nails and some new light pink summer time lipstick. Pitiful but it makes me happy.
And then of course there's my children. This morning as I laid in bed, thinking about single-momming it all day on Mother's Day and wallowing in self pity, Ethan came in with a card he had made at school that he has been just dying to give me all last week. He'd say stuff to me like, "MOM! There is this really cool card I made but I can't tell you who it's for. So don't ask me, alright?"
So this morning he finally got to give me the really cool card and it was very pink and sweet. His handwriting gives me the same feeling I get holding a new baby.
Then I came out to the table and there were little pipe cleaner flowers made from Noah's tiny hands. And to top it off, coming out the bedroom right before we were to go to church, Ethan told me (sitting in the laundry basket) "You look pretty mom."
So really, I have nothing to complain about here.
Going back to work has been much easier than I had anticipated. I had a month to get things in order and totally became a freak case of guilt and anxiety over what going back to work "full time" would do to my children. Turns out they didn't die, or turn into vegetables, or hate me. Well, maybe Noah hates me. But he's pretty crabby all round these days.
In fact, his first day in day care ever, he reached out for the caregiver from my arms.Not even a whimper. All you mothers out there can sympathize with how heartbreaking this was for me as a mom, as well as a little embarrassing. I checked back on him five minutes later, thinking for sure he'd be screaming and clawing for the door but instead he was just really interested in the play dough.
I had to just walk out and let it go.
And...my thirteen minutes are up. Happy Mother's Day.



1 comment:

Mama said...

I love you. This is all apart of being a mother. And it IS the greatest getting those gifts from the children (who you pour yourself into) that THEY poured their hearts into...proud of you and miss you!