Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor Day, 2010.

Well, besides the fact that my toes are so cold they might fall off any second and I can't feel my fingers typing on the keyboard, the morning is otherwise peaceful and rare. I am at the outpost in Graeagle, sitting outside on their just hosed off deck, taking in my alone time, my vacation from our vacation.
Did I mention I am freezing?
This vacation has been our best yet. And the secret, I am finding, is a big word we all know called preparation. Otherwise known as planning ahead. Or, plainly speaking, the thing that Danae never does, ever. Except when encouraged, begged, by her husband.
See, this trip Joey and I talked before hand about what we'd like to do. Joey always does this, but I have a little more trouble with it. I just can't get out of what I am feeling in that moment (blue undies or pink, for example, while I am packing my suitcase), let alone try and decide what I will want to do later. But with children, this is an absolute must. So Joey and I discussed this, and we decided that he would like to play golf and have a morning to himself to be on the internet and sip coffee, or whatever. I thought that sounded very nice *Note: I would never have initiated something so wonderful and sane on my own* and so I decided I would like to do that as well, only instead of golf, I would like to go shopping.
Oh, and by the way, I have decided I love golf, because it takes a long time and is a lot of money, and therefore gives me a big fat excuse to reciprocate in kind, aka an entire morning of shopping.
(honey, if your reading this, don't freak out. I also have decided I will not spend money for money sake, but only on things I really, really, really want).
So, now that we have all that out of the way, this vacation really has been the best, despite Noah's double ear infections. I have been able to go on two fabulous runs, we've had two afternoons at the millpond (the blood flukes only dampened it a little), gone out to eat at Gumba's Pizza and Longboard 's Bar and Grill, and watched about twenty episodes of the Andy Griffith Show. I have contemplated taking a set home (they are on DVD's) to watch when I am having a hell of a day because Barney Five is absolutely the best. I mean, he is hilarious. And I see a lot of myself in him, actually. He lets me laugh at myself. And laughter, really, is the best medicine.
Ethan is having a great time too. He can actually ride his bike now, and when he rings that little bell, (brrrinnnnng, brrinnnng!) it just melts my heart. Watching his little legs pedal, round and round, makes a mama so happy.
We've put Noah in the bathroom upstairs to sleep which at first I thought was cruel and unusual but now am thinking we might just want to set the play pin up in the bathroom at home, he's sleeping soooooooo great. I think it's the lack of windows. He goes straight down for his naps and is sleeping in till eight. Seriously, people, if you have young children you get this: sleeping in till eight is like somebody just handed you a million bucks. Or at least it's close.
At one point Joey and I talked about having another baby, something that has been on my mind lately. He graciously talked to me about it. And then I spent the whole afternoon with the little buggers by myself while he did his golf thing and when he came home, I agreed with him that two were just fine.
Today we go home. Back to the routine, the schedule. I can't wait to come back, I love it up here so, almost as much as Mount Hermon.

1 comment:

Mama said...

that is why we put Sophia in our closet. please don't call CPS on us, it is a BIG closet, really. I really want to go up there with you one of these times! So glad you had a nice time.