Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Seriously.

And so. We spent Friday all day at the dealership, the same one we bought the truck. I made Joey stop at a couple of others just to "make sure" the car we were going to go haggle for was the one I wanted.
That was a mistake, in one sense. The fat man who met us at our car door was more stereotype used car salesman than the stereotype itself. His hair was long and unkempt and his twelve inch zipper was part way down, and his belt was on sideways. He kept telling us he wasn't the typical car salesman, that he wanted to find me the exact car I wanted, and that if the missing back panel on a piece of junk Element was a deal breaker, we could order one.
The kicker was when he decided to make small talk making fun of cops, and then when we said, Thank you, we may be back, he lied and said he wanted us to come inside to get his business card. Really he wanted us to meet his boss, so she could try to keep us there as long as possible. Joey took one look at me and straight up said in the middle of her asking us what we were looking for, "I'll be in the truck." And he was gone.
I said sorry, but I didn't really mean it, and followed him out the door.
We spent the day back at the Mercedes lot with Rob, the same guy we bought the truck from. I'm sure we have just bought the two least expensive cars Mercedes has ever had. They still treated us well, except for the finance guy, who made it plain and clear he was expecting someone to walk in and pay cash for this car, not finance it for five or six years. I mean, you do feel a little silly haggling over that last two hundred bucks when the cars in the showroom behind you have price tags like $72,000.
But we did, and they gave it to us.
So for the last two days I have been driving this new car like it's worth a Mercedes, going the speed limit or a little under, checking my mirrors ten times before backing up, going over speed bumps at zero miles an hour. I set up my ipod before I start driving and don't change the song even if its on my nerves a little bit.
I stopped by Starbuck's before work, excited to get a drink with my card from my Christmas stocking. I was just from the chiropractor, and I felt relaxed. I had plenty of time before work. I pulled into the parking place super slow, as has been my accustom since I totaled my car and almost killed myself a week ago. As I turned to lock the car before going into Starbucks, I thought, for the hundredth time since we bought the thing on Friday, Man what a pretty car. I can't believe I have this.
I got my tall extra hot chai and was walking back toward that beautiful car when I saw a well dressed man on the cell phone. He said to whoever was talking to, "Oh, here's the lady. Let me talk to her." and he closed his phone. I thought he might need directions, or was from out of town or something.
"You know, I could have just driven away, but I slid on some ice..."
And he side swiped my new car.
I just laughed.
Seriously? Seriously?
*sigh*.

3 comments:

Amy said...

uh oh - I'm so sorry!!!

Katie Marie said...

Oh no! At least the guy was honest while admitting to the fact that he considered being dishonest.

What kind of car did you get?

Candace said...

that is my life story! every time I get something new...ruined so quickly....i sometimes feel like it is God keeping me in reality check...but it could just be bad luck....lol