Friday, June 5, 2009

One Week In.

It's been a week now and I miss Joey. I can't think of anything in particular I miss-OK, except for that one thing-but mostly I just want him here. In the same room. Because that is what I have gotten use to over the past seven years.
We've done so many fun things, and then yesterday was the first day I was walking around Daelynn's house thinking, I am bored. I took Ethan on a little walk to explore the neighborhood, so green with all sorts of new, different plants I have never seen before, dark pink, purple and my favorite-red flowers that look like humongous hairy caterpillars. We commented on the palm trees and the pine trees, all growing in the same yard.
Ethan didn't last long on his own two feet, and with no one else around to take pity on the pregnant lady, I offered him my shoulders. Of course he said yes. I had brought my cell phone and clangy bundle of keys that weighs at least five pounds. I managed to hold on to my cell phone while maneuvering him up onto my shoulders, but the keys went down, hitting the sidewalk with a large crash.
I stood there a moment, looking way down there at the keys at my feet, feeling a little topsy turvy as I balanced Ethan's skinny limbs on my shoulders, one of his hands grabbing my hair, the other a death grip around my forehead, almost covering my eyes.
I didn't have any choice but to bend my knees and get those keys, so wobbly we went down, and back up, barely, all the while Ethan holding on to my hair or whatever else he could grab or pull, like my cheeks.
We found a park with swings and a slide. That's when I really started to miss Joey.
Since we may be here a while, and everyone else has lives and work to do, I somewhat desperately remembered that my YMCA membership can be used elsewhere. So we went there yesterday, and will go again today.
I am still waiting for it to be warm enough to go to the beach. Today has promise: the sun is out early, shining through the blinds hanging from the windows.

No comments: