Saturday, May 16, 2009

This Saturday Evening.

Saturday evening. Ethan is entertaining himself so things are quiet (but could explode any second, welcome to having children).
Speaking of which, we have three brand new babies at church. The bombs have been dropped!! They are all first time mothers, Lord have mercy. I prayed for them today.
Today was a good day. Went for a walk with my mom. She usually comes out here, to the desert of Stead, and we walk my ghetto streets. Today I went in town to her, and we walked Caughlin Ranch instead. The sprinklers were going and there were green plants everywhere, giving off that wet green plant smell. It's heavenly, if you know what I am talking about. Fresh. earthy. wet.
It reminded me how much I like to be outside, how I used to seek out opportunities to let nature surround me, overtake me until I forgot I was. Sounds pretty mystical, and I guess it was. It also reminded me of being young (hey, I can feel old at twenty-five, alright), and with Joey, either in the Redwoods in Santa Cruz or the big pines in Graeagle. It reminded me life wasn't always this tedious, this much of a struggle, and it gave me a small glance at a future that might give us a reprieve now and then.
I was listening to a talk show on the way home, and before it got so annoying I had to change the channel the host actually said something I have been pondering, on and off, all day. He was speaking about Mother's Day, and what we really want to be honored for. He threw out some suggestions, one of which was, "Mom, thank you for bringing out the best in Dad."
O God I almost started bawling right there on McCarran. I for sure have not been bringing out the best Joey, in fact, I feel like most moments I am successfully doing the opposite. So this afternoon I thought what can I do to bring out the best in him?
It's given me a new way of looking at how to serve him, reminding me that I AM HERE TO HELP HIM. To bring out the best in him.

2 comments:

Deaira Dea said...

Ooh i like that...That is something to strive for i would imagine even more so with kids but yes i do like that idea.... *mental note* Figure out what brings out the best in Steve that doesn't involve baked goods...

Jessica Mapa said...

I can't believe you don't like Al Mohler. (no, it's not the only thing I got from your post...just the main thing :) )