Saturday, April 26, 2008

Searching for a Safe Place.

We've had hundreds of earthquakes in last couple of months, four in the last three days that have left me quiet and scared and ready to run.
At the same time, it's a little exhilarating, feeling that uncontrolled (well, controlled by God, but you know what I mean) power, a constant reminder these days that I am not in control of anything in the end.
Last night I felt one rumble and rock my bed, shaking the walls, waking me up at about eleven thirty. I laid still after it stopped thinking, my God, this is scary, waiting for it to start again, not knowing what to do if it did other than run in the next room and grab Ethan. The phone rang, I thought it was Joey but it was my friend Jen. She was a little historical, which isn't saying much because she can be a little hysterical when things are normal, but still she was alarmed. "I've never felt them like that before!" And she is from San Diego.
Joey said it was a 4.9.
All over the news they are getting people ready for a big one, telling us what to put in the emergency kits, who to call, what to do--which has all been a pretty big talk of nothing because I still don't really know what to do besides get outside if I can. I'm kinda living on the edge of my seat here, which is a little silly because my time could come at any point, earthquakes or no earthquakes. It is just that normally I live in a comfy sate of oblivion, thinking that death really never will come to me, and when it hits those around me it is a fluke in the system.
So this has all been good. Every time I feel the earth start to shake, I am reminded of reality, of God and that I am His. There is no safer place to be than that.

1 comment:

Simon Jooste said...

I keep checking everyday for a new post :) You must be busy - obviously!!
Love you!