Thursday, March 20, 2008

Doughnuts and Mommy Love.

Last night we had dinner with Jen and Sam, our new friends. I set the table with cloth napkins and beaded rings, one of my favorite things to do for company or if I am feeling especially nice and put together just for Joey and me and Ethan (although Ethan doesn't get a place mat because he likes to smear his food everywhere and he has no appreciation for the beauty of place mats and cloth napkins and beaded napkin rings).
I decided to have a glass of wine before they came over.
Before dinner.
Which made making dinner a little difficult: I kept having to re-read the same line in the recipe because nothing was really taking to my brain. Thankfully Jen was there to help me, remind me when I would just sort of daze off (wine makes me sleepy) that we had to roast the asparagus, or (a little later) that the aspargus was burning.
After dinner I was feeling a little sick but we decided to go to Krispy Creme for donuts. Another bad idea--not so much the donut, that actually made me feel better, but the car ride there I was all woozy, the lights from the other cars like fireflies all around my head.
When we got to the doughnut shop and Sam asked Ethan what doughnut he wanted, without a second's hesitation-in the slew of all those colorful pastries-he pointed to the green-sprinkled one on the third shelf. Quite a lot of certainty for a two year old.

And then this morning Ethan was awake before I left for work, pounding on his door to get out, "I hurt my head Mama, I hurt my head." Apparently he was using his head to pound on the door. When I opened the door he squinted up at me, trying to adjust to the light. "Hi Mama." And when I picked him up he smelled like slept-in sheets with a hint of pee because his diaper was so full it was about to fall off, and I about melted in mommy love.

No comments: