Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Datenight

We dropped Ethan off at Grandma Patty's at the last minute to go to the movies. We drove to the Grand Sierra, where you can see already-played-in-the-theaters movies for three bucks a piece. I felt young because Ethan wasn't with us and we were driving in the dark-don't ask me why but driving in the dark with Joey-and without Ethan-makes me feel young.
It was cold and we held hands walking in. We passed by the candy store I used to LOVE to go to when I was a little girl. When we got to the counter the lady said they took cash only, so Joey had to use the ATM, which charged him three dollars to do so. I could see this really irritated him. I tried to remind him that we still were only paying $4.50 to go to the movies, still super cheap. He didn't answer me.
I wanted candy but Joey reminded me this "wasn't staying cheap" with the three dollar ATM charge and all. So I was content with just holding his hand.
It's so nice at the Grand Sierra because they have love seats instead of individual seats, so Joey and I could sit close.
The movie was AWFUL in the sense that I was seriously scared some human infected with the K virus (similar to rabies) was going to come out from under our couch and eat me. Joey was enthralled. I was very relieved when the credits started, and we could hold hands walking out again.
It seems like a lot to go through when the highlight of the night for me was holding hands.
But that's OK. I know this is how life is, jumping through lots of hoops for little pleasures.
*****
I am appreciating Ethan more. The thought of not having another baby for a while makes me more focused on him, more aware of how precious he right now. He gently takes my cheeks in his chubby hands and pulls me face into his, just barely brushing his pink lips on mine. He usually smells like strawberries, because they have been on sale, making him irresistable.
He's initiating getting on the pot on his own and he seems to be warming up to Riley.
Who, by the way, scored some points with me yesterday when we went to the park and let her off the leash and she was a very good girl, coming when we called her and staying close. Maybe she does like us, despite her cat like independence most of the time.

1 comment:

Simon Jooste said...

date nights are great - just because they are date nights :) Andrew and I had a good day today too. He is SO cute - he gave me like 5 kisses on the lips today when I came in after his nap. He kept saying "ma ma - ma ma" then pointing at me and making kissing noises until I kissed him. Sometimes he is very lovey dovey.