Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Insanity Resolved.

I think I've finally realized why this parenting thing is so damn hard for me: They are boys. Loud, unmanageable, risky, dirty, stinky boys. They challenge me on every. single. thing. They have to be spoken to directly and to the point as their attention lasts about as long as the first two words that come out of my mouth. They cannot sit still for...pretty much any time whatsoever.  They have to be directed, as in given things to do- they aren't the best at getting lost in imaginary play, which is pretty much all I did from my earliest memories. This was proven, once again tonight, when I said, OK, I'm going to go take a shower (here's to hoping they don't kill themselves while I'm predisposed for twenty minutes!) Well, the little one, he decided to come with me. The older one got a crazy hair and said, "OOo! OOO! I'm going to do P90X!"
Knock your socks off.
By the time the little one I had finished our shower and had our jammies on, Ethan had done one whole CD plus the fit test.
He was about to put in another when he suddenly decided he'd like to have a dance party instead. Insert Pandora Club Radio and instant party.
It reminded me (why don't I remember this???) that my boys need to be occupied. They like to have some direction, something to accomplish, something to do. 
So I've got it under my belt now-
the next time I wanna rip my hair out at the sheer insanity of it all, hopefully that'll trigger this insightful evening: PUT IN AN EXERCISE VIDEO (P90X or INSANITY WILL DO) AND TELL THEM THEY HAVE TO COMPLETE IT. And, like shampoo: REPEAT IF NECESSARY.
They'll love it.
BTW, Noah just ends up spinning in circles, but that's OK. Toddlers have this thing that defies dizziness. He can spin for half an hour and be sober as priest, although I want to puke after watching him for about two seconds.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Love it!
Daelynn

(For hours on end liana will play with the little figurines or small animals.. Sometimes dolls, acting out this and that being the mommy, being the sister. Amazing how different. :) tonight I put on the silky play clothes I had when we were little and pretended to be a mommy too..dressed the baby dolls and babies.. Made a baby sling for liana.. It was precious. Memories flooded my mind. I need so much more, to spend that time with them ...it's good for me too. )