Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Goodbyes.

I am a bad, bad, bad, bad, BAD person.
As I sit here and write there are no little dog paws prancing around my kitchen. Feibi was picked up today by a pair of RVer's from Oklahoma and Riley is on her way to the Humane Society.
(Big sigh).
I have been crying on and off all day long. I decided to put Feibi up solo on Craigslist knowing that small dogs go fast and it would be harder to place the two together, especially with Riley's health problems (did I mention she is, no was, starting to  leave poo all over my kitchen floor every other morning or so?). As was expected I got quite a few calls on Feibi right away and am still continuing to get them.
Feibi will be fine, I hope. The couple who came to my doorstep to pick her up were late sixties, high riding RV people from Oklahoma who were in Reno for a gun show. He was short and stout and from the way his shirt was mis-buttoned you could see his left boobie kinda just hanging out under his shirt. He had what looked like sailer tattoos and what I pray to God were not prison tattoos on his forearms. He was direct and dry and would say some sort of a joke ("I'm not fully dressed if I don't have dog hair all over me") at random times with a completely straight face. I liked him.
She was smiley with blondish gray whispy hair going all over the place. She had on a light pinkish flower shirt and her jeans had a hole in them ("You really gotta fix that hole, Mary!" her husband says).
They have two Rat Terriers (NOT Jack Terriers, as I was quickly corrected) who ride with them everywhere they go on the dash of the motorhome. Feibi should fit right in.
The only thing that worried me was when he started talking about the types of treats he gives his dogs. He tells me in his thick, Oklahoman accent, "Yeah, we giv'em chicken bits and bull penis'. They just love'em. I get'em for twenty dollars a pound. They can't get enough of 'em."
At this point I just couldn't picture Feibi chewing on a bull's penis but I smiled and went with it. She will probably love it, and I sure as heck am not buying her anything as exquisite.
Riley, on the other hand, is on her way to the Humane Society. With her health issues I know she will be hard to place and she will probably be put down. The whole thing is just heart breaking, from beginning to end. If you have followed my blog since the beginning you know that after I graduated college I wanted a dog.  Feibi and Riley were number three and four; the first two didn't work out at all. Riley and Feibi were a good pair and they worked; I just never once considered the cost of boarding my dogs every time we want to go on a vacation. Too much.
So. I am once again dogless. I will appreciate the ease of going out of town and not having to find someone to house-sit, or pay someone; not waking up to poo all over my kitchen floor, not having to worry about the neighbors hating us because of Feibi barking. I will not miss the yearly shots and 100 lb bags of food from Costco, or the goo from Canada we buy at fifteen bucks a bottle so that their pee won't kill our grass.
But I will miss them. Dogs are worth having just because. They are little buddies, always ready to be with you even when you are at your worst. They don't care. They love you regardless. And I will miss that ready love.
At least Feibi will have her bull penis.
Oh I am a blubbering sobbing mess right now.


2 comments:

Mama said...

I am so sorry hunny. We have been there, and it is heartbreaking. you want what is best for them and for YOUR family. I have been praying for you and to be comforted. love you sister. (and the bull penis are called "bully sticks" and you CAN get them at costco...I didn't realize what they were until after I bought them and Nicky made fun of me...I will never buy them again, needless to say) :)

♡Shayla♡ said...

:( I'm sorry.

I've been in the same position. Several times. Prayers for your family. <3