Monday, February 22, 2010

Icy Night Filled With Dreams.

We took the boys over to Patty and Shaun's last night with their pj's so we could go to dinner and Brad Paisley's concert. I got all dressed up because I love to do that: extra jewelry, little bit more make-up (I think I'm splurging if I use eyeshadow), a satiny blouse way too summery to be wearing when it snowed two feet that morning, and my favorite jeans and boots. Daelynn had given me this fabulous brown coat a couple of years ago that is perfect for anything a little fancy, and then I transferred just what I needed--my license, two bucks, lip liner, lip stick, and gloss, which I never end up using again after putting it on before we go to the babysitters but at least I look good for grandma and grandpa--in a tiny little black purse used only for occasions such as these.
We decided at the last minute to go to The Stone House Cafe instead of sushi and I am glad we did. I ordered the appetizer bowl of steam clams in a white wine sauce with garlic and chives and onions and tomatoes, garlic bread, and an apple spinach salad with blue cheese and a sweet vinaigrette. I wasn't sure if I was going to be happy with what I ordered when I ordered it but it was perfect. Oh and red wine. Joey had a couple of clams and we talked about how Papa had first introduced us them (he passed away last week). Things like that keep popping up everywhere now that he's gone.
We talked about our own bucket lists of things we would like to accomplish before we go--traveling, and lots of it--Costa Rica, Chile, Switzerland, Japan, Italy, Ireland, Canada and Hawaii were just a few we talked about. Joey wants to spend time snowboarding in another country. I want to get certified in Yogafit. Watch and help our boys develop their talents. Eventually finding something I want to do for work (hair?). Where Joey wants to go with his career.
I love to hear him talk as I get so much insight into what drives him, what he wants. When it was my turn to talk about my bucket list, I had a couple of things, which is good, but most of all I am excited to see Joey succeed as well as my boys. I feel a little Leave it to Beaver saying that but that's the feeling I had sitting at that table.
The concert was great, I love Brad Paisley's songs. They are hilarious. And his love songs are sweet. My eyes got teary a couple of times, thinking of Papa when Paisley sang "What I Believe" and "Waiting on a Woman"--loss is so sad, and yet there is a sweetness in that feeling because it is full of love.
Joey held my hand or had his hand on my leg the whole time, which made the night for me. I like affection.
We left after the fake out ending they always do to beat the crowds. We drove back to Shaun and Patty's on the icy streets, the sky dark and the snow reflecting of the headlights. The truck was warm from the heater, making me sleepy.
The boys were sleeping when we went into the the bedroom to pick them up, their little breaths barely able to be heard except maybe by their mom, who could probably pick out those delicate breathing noises anywhere. I planted a kiss on Noah's warm head as I lifted him out of the crib, an automatic reaction like magnets attracting whenever I pick him up. Then we loaded up our life in the truck and drove home.

1 comment:

Charel said...

getting all dolled up for a night out is so fun! I love it too! :)