Thursday, December 10, 2009

Costco, Always a Memory.

Got up early this morning. I love it when it works out that way. The house is quiet and dark and I can drink my coffee and write in peace. Rare times with two little men ruling the roost.
Noah also slept in until four which was a treat. I feel almost rested for the first time in...crap, a year maybe? (if you weren't around, pregnancy was a B!)
Last night when I got home from work at six thirty, after a forty five minute drive because of some accident, we loaded the boys in the car and drove in the dark cold night to Costco, my favorite family outing--not being sarcastic here.
Going at night is nice because it is not an insane zoo, even though Sarah Palin was there signing her book. I noticed the people milling around, holding her book, talking together--they all looked intellectual, like they had some great purpose; and rich, with long coats and gloves. I guess those are the kind of people that go to book signings. I took notice that I looked like all the other normal zoned out people walking around the the warehouse in a Costco coma without her book, which was O.K.
We wandered over to the soaps and toothpaste, found what we needed, and as we made our way deeper into the store a man with a red and white beard--which reminded me of Fiebe's beard-- asked Joey if he was a jar head. Joey laughed a handsome laugh and said no, and I took a moment to smile on the inside because I still think he is hot, and then I asked him, "What'd he say?"
I guess a jar head is a marine--Joey had just shaved his head.
After filling two baskets up we were waiting in the checkout. A pretty blond lady with bangs who looked about forty came behind us. She had a gray skirt on with dark tights and black boots. Her down coat was also black. And yes I was staring. She had to be here for that book signing. What made her look so stinking sophisticated was this huge turquoise leather bag hanging off her shoulder all the way down to her mid thigh. It looked old and extremely expensive and I wanted it so bad. I started throwing things up on to the black belt and Joey started talking to Noah in a cute little voice. The lady was also staring at us, (Hello? two baskets? two noisy boys, one who can't stop making a train whistle sound while pulling his fist down, as if he is actually pulling it?) but mostly I think it was just because we were in front of her and what else is she going to look at?
Anyway I think Joey knew that lady was watching us because he took Noah out of his car seat and lifted him high in the air, still talking to him in that cute little voice, and I thought to myself, dang, is he trying to impress this turquoise bag lady? I threw the frozen ravioli's on the belt, and reaffirmed myself that I definitely wanted a bag like that.
She kept watching us, and her eyes were kind, almost longing. I wondered if she had a family, or if that bag proved she didn't have kids. Or maybe she had kids and they were grown up and she was missing the chaos.
After checkout we pulled our two baskets over to the side as we tried to settle ourselves before going out to the parking lot and she passed us . She almost smiled at me. I watched her back for a little while as she made her way to the door, that beautiful bag swaying behind her.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is the best entry i have read from your journal.

Deaira Dea said...

I always notice shoes... *sigh* There's somethign so entertaining about Costco too... We won't need a thing and we'll go walk around just for fun and usually a cheap lunch! :)