Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Joy.




This Christmas has been extra special for me given the fact that I have been way down in the dumps of depression, post-partum, pre-partem, everyday-since-last-February-partem, and I am finally coming out of it. Two weeks ago the only reason I wasn't calling my doctor for meds is I don't want to pay for them--so if not meds than a choice, and being aware of things I can do to keep from wallowing in the fear and meaninglessness that grabbed a hold of me this last year.
I exercise, I socialize, I talk to myself just like every other wacko out there (which a lot of the times means telling myself to shut up with the negativity and bring on the thankfulness), and I am enjoying things once more. I am living my life instead of watching it pass by me, like I don't care.
I am enjoying myself and my family. I am choosing joy over despair. So this Christmas has been particularly peaceful and hopeful.
That aside, we are still in the middle of all the Christmas madness over here and I don't mind one bit. We started on the 23rd, doing our Christmas as a family because Joey worked all day on the 24th and 25th. Bless our police officers who work every holiday because criminals suck.
So really we started on the 22nd as our Christmas Eve. Joey and I have a little tradition of opening a gift together, alone, after the kids are asleep, so we can enjoy each other. Then we shack it up in the bedroom. There is nothing better than sex on Christmas.
We woke up the next morning to Ethan running in our bedroom, "Santa brought me a guitar!" and so it began. The tearing of paper, the glee, the look of surprise and happiness on his little face as he realizes what each new gift is. Four year olds are easy to please. He is especially attached to Buzz Lightyear.
From there we spent time with Joey's family which is always a treat. I married into a gem of a family, giving me three new sisters and three new brothers and so far, two great nephews. And my parents-in laws? You won't find a wiser, more joyful couple.
The next day, actual Christmas Eve, we spent with my dad's side of the family, a tradition we have been doing since I was a baby. Again, wonderful food, lots of fun gifts, and a ton of love floating around.
Christmas Day we went to my sister's for breakfast. I am so thankful we had boys at the same time--Andrew and Ethan entertain and enjoy one another. They still fight too, and argue at any given opportunity--at the table we all went around and shared our favorite part of Christmas. Andrew said his favorite part was airplanes.
"Christmas airplanes?" said Ethan.
"No, regular airplanes." said Andrew.
"Christmas airplanes."
"No! Regular airplanes!"
"Christmas airplanes!"
"Regular airplanes!"
And on and on. And on.
My favorite part of Christmas is the time shared with all the boys in my life and extended family. I also love to decorate my house, unwrapping all the special things, some of which are over twenty five years old. My favorite are sweet mouse ornaments my mom painted for for me, hung with yarn. One is in a mailbox, the other is sleeping on the moon.
I love mediating on what Jesus means in my life, the freedom, joy, and forgiveness He came to give.
But I have to say my favorite part is shacking it up with Joey in the bedroom. Heck, that's Christmas any day of the year.


2 comments:

Katie Marie said...

You look so AMAZING!!! I love the hair and am very jealous of the post baby bod.

I'm glad you are coming out of the partums, they are pits.

Kids at Christmas = true soul food

Anonymous said...

:) hehe.. you bet:)
daelynn