Sunday, July 27, 2008

Learning.

We came home from church and had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with dark cherries. On our way home I asked Ethan if he had had a good day at church and he said yes.
"Did you sing songs?"
"Yes, we prized the Lord."
"You praised the Lord?"
"No, we prized the Lord."
"I think you mean you praised the Lord."
"Yes, mama, we praised the Lord." Jeese.
As we ate lunch all of a sudden I had this frantic feeling like I wasn't teaching him about God like I should. I chewed my sandwich trying to think of something to say, of something to teach him.
"Ethan, do you know who made you?"
No answer, just cherry eating.
"God made you!" I say it big and raise my eyebrows and he looks back and me and smiles and raises his eyebrows.
"Yeaahh!"
"And He loves you too."
"Yeaahh!"
"Do you know who made mama?"
No answer. He looks at me, acting like he is excited about all of this because I obviously want him to be.
"God did!"
"Yeaahh!"
"Do you know who made Daddy?" I'm hoping by now he will have caught on.
No answer.
"God made Daddy too!"
Ethan just smiles and kicks his feet under the table, his tiny fingernails dyed with the same cherry juice that drips off his chin.
We are also working on our phone number.

2 comments:

Simon Jooste said...

Sweet! I can get you a copy of the catechism that we are going through with Andrew if you want. It has been helpful in giving me direction in teaching Andrew. Anyways, you're on the right track - the first question in the catechism is, "Who made you?"!!

Until I see you on Friday questions 2 and 3 go like this:

2 What else did God make?
God made ALL things.
3 Why did God make all things?
For His glory!

Pretty simple, huh? But very profound at the same time :)

Andrew says "God" sometimes for the answer for number 1 but only when we get REALLY excited about it! The only question he knows how to answer at this point is, "How old are you?" "I'm two" and he only says this half the time :)

Deaira Dea said...

Makes you appreciate our parents how they taught us how we learned. We don't learn about God or who he is unless we're taught. I'm so thankful somedays for the blessing of growing up with a knowledge of God... I know God will lead and guide you while you teach Ethan.