Saturday, November 15, 2008

Purple Sky, Creepy Train, and Neighbors.

I drove home from work last night in my gold minivan and the sky was turning that pretty purple color, right before it goes dark. It made me a little sad. There is something about not being with your kid all day and then going to pick him up when it's dark--it seems sadder than before, in the summer, when it was still light out at five.
Some lady at work was selling her used DVD's, so I picked up the Polar Express, thinking Ethan would LOVE it because of that big 'ole train. I hadn't seen it but I heard it was good.
Well, no one told me it was freaking scary as hell. I mean, this movie is CREEPY. Ethan for the most part sat on the couch with his eyes the size of saucers and his mouth open a little. The only time his mouth closed and he relaxed was when they light up this huge, gorgeous Christmas tree at the end. Then he said, "Ahhh, Christmas!" and it broke my heart because he's just so dang pure and precious, and the rest of this supposedly wonderful Christmas film was dark and strange.
Fiebe is finally potty trained. Not trustfully potty trained, but I can't remember the last time I had to wipe up the stinky yellow puddles on my kitchen floor. Every time I see her race out the door, headed right for the lawn, and then assume the position, I want to clap my hands and jump up and down.
Ethan, on the other hand, is much slower at this. He'll go on the potty, if he wants to. Which is about point five percent of the time.
Candy, stickers, and movies have only helped a little.
To be quite honest this part of parenting has scared me since the moment I first held Ethan in my arms. I have absolutely no clue how to handle this transition, and good lord what if he is still loading his pants when he is three and a half?
We grew up with a little neighbor boy, the youngest of seven, who was still crapping his pants IN SCHOOL.
So don't tell me this won't happen.
Anyway--
Brian and Jamie move just down the street a ways this weekend. God has answered my prayers once again. It's so lonely to not live by friends--I hope that life won't be too busy for random dinners, things like that.
I really enjoy their company, and with Jamie having a baby, there will be even more things to connect us.

No comments: